My baby is turning 3!


In a week and a half Carter will be 3 - I'm already crying. 

This year has been hard for my little man. Last December, I called the Alberta Health Link because I noticed that Carter was not talking and had extremely bad separation anxiety. At the time he really only said 'Bye bye'. But not very often. I got a package in the mail of a bunch of questions, that I needed to answer about Carter. As I answered them, I realized that more might be going on with him. Not just a speech issue. 

I was right. 

We waited to see a Speech Therapist until April. At the end of the appointment she told me that there were several red flags point towards Autism, but more likely Aspergers. She suggested that I seek immediately, a diagnoses from 'Child Developmental Clinic' (CDC), get his hearing tested and seek a preschool to enroll him in for children with disabilities.  

Disabilities - theres that word I keep hearing. Something I would've never, and still don't use in regards to Carter. But yet I keep hearing people use it reference to him. It is hard thing to come to grips with. I still don't think I have. My son, may be Disabled. 

I toured four preschools, and hands down without a doubt, he was going to Renfrew. I had barley stepped through the door when I knew that was the place. By the end of June, he had funding from the GOV and was enrolled for September. 

I have heard a few times from the CDC and he will be assessed between Jan-March, 2010.

He got his hearing tested in May and he was all clear. 

After he got assessed for his speech, he started a screaming phase. He screamed all the time, because he didn't know what else to do, and I cried, because I didn't know what else to do. 

Also in March his whole world was turned upside down by the arrival of this 'Thing' that doesn't wrestle, cries a lot, and takes Mommy and Daddys attention from him. Ill never forget the first time he saw Cam hold Logan. That was a BAD tantrum. Slowly they are getting to know each other. Cam and I have slowly trying to get them to Love one another by including Logan in things Carter enjoys to do. Logan "chases' and 'wrestles' a lot with him.  But it is a SLOW process. Carter would rather have nothing to do with him. But were getting there.

In September Carter started school. We have noticed some changes, he says 'more' now. But seems to have lost 'please'. He shakes his head 
'no' says 'yes' and hands us his plate when he is done eating. Instead of chucking it across the room. Just these few little things have changed us all so much. 

I know some of you may be thinking "things could be war worse, what is she complaining for?" But NOTHING is worse, then knowing something is wrong with your child, and you can't fix it.

Happy Birthday my son. May your 4th year be better. You are the most loving, MOST, loving boy a Mom could hope for. You make me laugh all the time, you melt my heart, you crush me with your body slams! Always stay you! - Love Mommy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging it because I cannot talk about it.

Kids Calenders