Logans Labour Story

So personally I love hearing other Mom's stories about their labour. So here is mine for Logan!

I never understood the nesting instinct until after I gave birth to Logan. The night before I went into labour I hit turbo mode to get the house clean. I'm so glad I did, because it has been so much easier to keep the house clean. About 3:30am the next morning I woke up having contractions. I couldn't tell if they were true or not, because just like my last labour the contractions were very sporadic. They were strong enough to wake me up though, and I was up from that moment on. Finally at 5:30 I went to take a shower, as I knew I wasn't going back to sleep. I always said if I thought I was in labour the first thing I would do was shower and do my hair. That way I didn't need to worry about it while I was at the hospital. (I hate my curly hair, so I straightened it). I told Cam to go to work, they were getting stronger but not getting closer together. They were getting further apart. About 20 minutes apart, when I first woke up they were about 9 minutes apart.

So I happened to have a prenatal appointment booked that day so I asked my parents to watch Carter so I could go get checked. About an hour before my appointment my contractions completely stopped. I was getting frustrated at this point. I was slightly frustrated with my Doctor. She wasn't even going to see if I had made progress. She wanted me to just go home and wait it out because she thought they were braxton hicks. Which I was more then willing to do but I had had sporadic labour before so I asked her to check me anyways. She checked me and I was 5 cm dilated and still 50 % effaced. So I asked her what I should do, and she never gave me a straight answer. Was I in labour or not?? She shut the door and I went to get off the table and a contraction hit me. First one in over an hour. As I was driving home I had 3 more. So I called my parents and asked them to take Carter to my sisters who would watch him. (I found my contractions slowed down when I was taking care of him). I got home and put a season into the DVD player and did my best to relax. They finally started taking some sort of form, and steadied to 8 - 9 minutes apart. Around 12:30 they started changing and getting really intense. I called Cam at 1:00pm to get him to come home for much needed support. He got home about 1/2 hour later, and I told him we needed to get our bags into the car and go. I knew I had hit transition at this point but I was just at the start of it. The drive to the hospital was TERRIBLE! Every little bump KILLED while I was having a contraction. I got there and they checked me, and I was at 7 cm. I put in an order for an epidural right away. I know I went so long without it, but I prefer no pain! They moved me into a birthing room after Cam finished checking me in, this was at about 2:30. The anesthesiologist was tied up so they gave me laughing gas to help ease the pain. That stuff is crazy. I felt so loopy when I used a lot. At one point she asked me to move my head and I couldn't! I actually got giggly. Really weird stuff. It was hard to use, as I was still really sick with this cold. Every time I used it I felt like I was suffocating, and didn't use it much in the end. Finally the anesthesiologist came much to my relief. I bent over a pillow and a nurse stood with me, and she started setting up. She tried one spot. Couldn't get it. Another spot, couldn't get it. This went on for 20 minutes, with my contractions at every 2 minutes. She kept getting mad at me because I would lift my head during the contractions. I couldn't breath through my nose, so I had to use my mouth, which was shoved into a pillow! Longest 20 minutes ever! Finally she got it in, and it took effect. Beautiful drug. I finally was able to relax. Around 6:30 my main doctor came in and checked me. Said I was fully dilated and said we would let contractions do their thing for about an hour to bring him down the birth canal as he was still very high. A different anesthesiologist was on at this point, and he came to give me a quick top up as I could really feel the contractions. He asked me how long I had been stuffy for, and I told him at least 3 months. He came back with a syringe with his own *concoction* as he called it. Put it up my nose and I could breath for the first time in months! It was amazing. So for the rest of my labour I could use my nose, what a difference it made. My doctor came back just as I was feeling the urdge to push. After about 20 minutes of pushing and one major leg cramp later, Logan was born! He was put on top of me, then he was cleaned up. After being in the birthing room for about an hour, they moved me into a room. I was lucky enough not to have a roommate the whole time I was there! The night went by really well. We started having issues with breast feeding. The same ones that Carter and I had. I am pumping and feeding it to him in a bottle. That is what I ended up doing with Carter as well. the next day we got discharged round 12pm and Logan just needed a bath and Jaundice test then we could go. So less then 24 hours I was home!! This labour was much better then my last, we'll see if I ever do it again though! haha

Comments

Meghan Anderson said…
I love reading other mommies labour stories!
I'm so happy this labour was much easier than with Carter! I know you were really nervous for that!
But now you have another beautiful boy!! YAY! I like boys!!
Congrats and enjoy him!
henline crew said…
I too love to read labor stories.

First labors and birth's suck in my opinion. Second ones are defiantly better (I guess depending on the person) and 3rd ones are even easier to push out. This was my experience anyway. We'll see how the 4th one goes and I'll let you know. Then you'll love to do it again....right? haha jk.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging it because I cannot talk about it.

Kids Calenders