What to do?

I am so incredibly frustrated. I have been for a few months. 

When we first found out that Carter had Autism, I was told that maybe we should seek a new school for him. Right now he is attending Renfrew, and it is a WONDERFUL school! I was a little taken aback by the comment, because it had never even entered my mind to take him away from there. But I did as the recommended and I toured a couple of preschools. One was a school JUST for children with Autism, but I wasn't even close to getting the funding I need to even get on the wait list for that school. So its kind of out. 

But here is why I am frustrated... I went to tour the Deer Run elementary. As they do a preschool there for Children with Special Needs as well. This was almost the school I put Carter into originally, until I saw Renfrew. Honestly there is no comparison to the look of the two. Deer Run is old and run down, its a public school. Renfrew is a private school and has the funding it needs to keep up. 

A few weeks ago Carter and I went to see his pediatrician where I got the slip of paper saying he is diagnosed. She told me to watch out for 3 big milestones in his life that will be VERY hard. Transition into Gr 1, Puberty, and age 18. Honestly, she did a very good job of striking fear into my heart. 

If Carter went to Deer Run, that would be his elementary school for gr 1 because of where we live. The transition should technically be easier to deal with. He will still get great therapy and I have no doubt he'll excel there. Deer Run also costs $30 a month for busing, and I send him with his own snack. 

If Carter stayed with Renfrew, it is already familiar to him. Its so clean, the facility is AMAZING and he loves it there. He will still get great therapy. But busing and snack fees are $90 a month all together. Which we don't have! If he stayed in Renfrew the transition to gr 1 would be MUCH harder. 

Anyone I talk to has NOTHING that helps me in my dilemma and I need to make up my mind SOON. Like by the end of this week. I dont know what to do....

Comments

henline crew said…
Pray and have faith. The answer will come to you. I know it is easier said than done but I promise you that if you do it, you will receive the answer you need.
Lisa Smith said…
Sometimes writing out a pro-con list works wonders. From those two small paragraphs you wrote about each school, I think you will see that the long term benefits of one will drastically outweigh the other.

Decisions regarding the wellness of our children are NEVER easy. As Henline said, prayer and faith are crucial. Hang in there!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging it because I cannot talk about it.

Kids Calenders