T-Shirt Neck Braid and Pompom
So last night, I felt like trying out all these cute little things I see on Pintrest. Specifically, The braid necklace from old t-shirts, and on whim I added a pompom to it (made from old t-shirts as well). Keep in mind this was just me goofing off. I will do a different one down the road with more vibrant colors and fix all the things I did wrong this time!! So I started of by grabbing two old t-shirts that went well in color. I NEVER wore them, and now I am glad I didn't throw them out. I started to slice them in strips. I want a 'clean' look to it so I didn't tear the fabric like the original tutorial said too. But I didn't cut them any specific width. Just random but uniform widths.
Then I put and elastic band around the top of three strips, and with the help off my wonderful husbands foot, I started to braid. At first I was doing a loose weave, then I decided I didn't like it loose and went with a tight weave. I knotted the ends together after braiding to make it a "necklace". You could use a sewing machine for a tidier look. Add a ribbon. Ya know! (Little tip, I just randomly cut the tshirt and didn't take note of the seams while weaving. With wanting a tighter weave the seams looked awful when braided in. Consider cutting the seams out? Depends on what look you are going for).
This is about the time I decided that it was to plain. I LOVE the pompoms that I have been seeing all over pintrest, but I didn't have a pendant to use. So I got a washer, size of my choice and glue some cardboard to it. In between the cardboard and washer, I slipped some craft wire to put it through the braided necklace. I cut out circles from one of the t-shirts, (about ten to start, and I cut more from there). I decided to go with just brown as the blue was more prominent in the necklace. (For the necklace I braided two blues with one brown strand).
The cardboard is where I glued the fabric to, so I made sure when I twisted the wire it was flat with the washer. That way when I wore it, it lied flat on me. Then using a tooth pick and fabric glue, I would wrap a circle around the tooth pick and glue it on. I started in the middle and worked my way out.
Then I was done! Yay! (Sorry about the blurry photo).
Then I gave it a "hair cut" to round it off, allover. To more match the shape of the washer and to give it that "pom pom" look. (I think I even did more trimming after this photo).Then I stuck the wire through the middle of the braid (the pompom will hide it). Twisted it, and then pushed it down then snipped it.
Ugly huh? Thats what I thought. So with the opposite color, I covered it.
After gluing it to the bottom, I then glued it to the side of the washer, (taking care not to get the pompom part stuck). Then trimmed the back. (I think next time I may try attaching the washer and covering it BEFORE I put on the circles for the pom pom. You live and learn right)???
Voila! One necklace and bracelet to go! As for the length that is up to you. I was sitting in church wearing it, and I felt it was a hair to long. So I knotted it shorter and I was much happier.
I cannot wait to try it again now that I feel "I know what I am doing" with different colors. I cannot wait to go to fabric land and get some t-shirt fabric and go crazy with different colors. I also want to do pompoms on chains. But Im thinking that may cost a "tad" more. So we will see!
Comments