Blogging it because I cannot talk about it.

Cam and I have told people more then once, "Carter is suspect Autism Spectrum Disorder". But after so many months of waiting, and having a specialist sit you down and say
 "After observing you son, we firmly believe that he has Autism".  

I now realize that I was not prepared to deal with the fact that Carter has Autisum. 

I was, and still am, Devastated. 

After the specialist told us of her conclusions she then asked , "Now after hearing that, how are you feeling? Are ok? Do you have questions? Can I help?" Honestly I thought I was fine. "We knew this was coming" I said. "I'm fine". Cams answer was the same. After she said "Yes, but sometimes having it confirmed makes it sink in, and you don't react how you thought you would".

She was right. As soon as she said that I looked deeper and I knew I was ready to burst into tears. I wanted her out of my house and NOW. I knew Cam was dealing with his own feelings, so I held it in most of the night. Cam went to bed and I called my sister and cried for two hours....

Now the reason for my title. I CANT TALK ABOUT THIS. I cant. I burst into tears and usually start sobbing. Its not pretty. I decided that I can type about it with no issues of tears though, and I want people to be aware of what has happened. So when I avoid questions about Carter you understand why. I am dealing with this right now. 

He is still my loving boy. And I love him SO MUCH! Maybe even more. But I need time to deal with it. Its been a week and I am doing better....

SO with all this being said I know that there are a few who may be upset by this news like me, so I will tell you all what I know. 
This is NOT his OFFICIAL diagnoses. This may be confusing. But the only person who can diagnose him is a pediatrician. These are the people that assess him and send their findings to the pediatrician . They will recommend a diagnoses of Autism to the pediatrician  and the pediatrician will take it from there. BUT, they are always right. They want to start getting him funding from the GOV right away and thats why they are telling us this now, to get started with funding. They said his team leader (over all the assessment team) wants to have everything that will help him (funding/aids/more therapy) up and going and done by September. 
Also they want an aid in the home five days a week. I was confused by this, as he already attends school for therapy five days a week which I feel is A LOT. They explained to me that the school is curriculum based and the aid would give him therapy with his every day home needs and give me some much needed help at home. (Maybe he will get potty trained!!!!)
They also mentioned taking him out of Renfrew for his school year 2001/2012. Again, I wonder "why"? Renfrew is a General Disabilities school. In other words they specialize in EVERYTHING. There is a school here in Deer Run (very close to home) that specialized in working with Autistic children so they recommended putting him there instead. I was kind of annoyed just because this was the school I almost put him into but didn't. 

On a positive note: Queensland ward has been very open to the idea of assigning someone to help Carter while we attend classes which is HUGE! Church has been VERY VERY VERY HARD! I cannot emphasis that more! We have had a TERRIBLE time with him over the last two years and its been hard on us. There is a 17 yr old girl that actually wants to specialize in working with children with special needs and it is sounding like she will take him for sunday school and Cam and I will alternate Sundays for the last class. She went to Nursery with him last sunday and that is the first time I have gone to all my classes in almost 2 yrs! Well see what happens there. 

Anyways that is all I really know right now. When we figure out more I will keep everyone up to date.  



Comments

Kim_Hawk said…
He is so adorable! Just wanted to let you know that *hugs*
Me said…
Thinking about you and praying for you and your family Wendy. Carter is very fortunate to have a mom who loves him so much!
you are an incredible mom Wendy!! I'm so so glad to hear that the ward is seeing your family's needs and taking care of you and Carter. I almost jumped for joy when you said you got to go to ALL of your classes. HUGE! Carter is such a cute boy. You're a lucky mom to have him. Hang in there and call me when you want to talk! ♥
Nancy said…
Aw, Wendy, I'm so sorry. But I know you can do this. I have another friend (incidentally, her name is Wendy) and she has a little boy with autism. Kind of. He doesn't have a full diagnosis, either. But he's a beautiful boy.

He's four but he goes to sunbeams with Rachel since he stayed in nursery an extra year.

Wendy and I talk about her boy a lot. She said that when she was sat down and told that her boy had autism she felt like he died. She mourns all the memories she'll never have of him. But, like I said, he's a beautiful boy. And so is Carter.

You guys can do this! And it's so wonderful that there is so much help available for you.

My nephew just got admitted to a General Special Education preschool and he gets to go 3 half-days per week. That's all the help my sister-in-law gets. You're lucky you're up in Canada!

Anyway, I love you Wendy! You are lucky to be Carter's mommy!
Meghan Anderson said…
Carter is such a special little spirit!! He is so incredibly lucky to have you as his mommy!! You are such a fighter and he'll have the best care he could possibly have!! You're family will be very blessed!
Gingerjigger said…
Hey Wendy. I'm glad you guys have news even if it is hard. My uncle's lovely new wife Yvonne is the leading pediatritian specialising in Autisum in N Ireland and she loves what she does and the kids she sees. Believe me when I say that his doctors love him and want to help him, you love him (more obviously) and want to help him and the ward does too. He is well loved and will be well looked after, don't mourn what he won't have, celebrate what he does. I know it's harder said then done and it won't always be easy but it will bless your family's lives. Let me know if you ever want to talk about anything, Carter or non-Carter related and I will ring! Love you lots my dear. Sarah x
First and far most, i love you hun! I cant imagine how you are feeling at this time. I know you must be getting this a lot but if there is anything... I mean anything i can do for you please dont hesitate to ask! You and your family are in my prayers. He is such a beautiful lil boy and he is lucky to be born into a family that has you for a mother. Im so sorry for your pain at this time.
Stacey Hall said…
Love you!!! I am always here for you! You are amazing!
marisa said…
Wendy, Wendy Wendy!!! Love ya girl! I don't know what i can say to make you feel better so I won't try.
just know that i am hear (Yes, i meant Hear) to let you vent, cry scream, yell. I will hear whatever you need. I really mean that. Hang in there and feel what your feeling let it out. It is very important:)

Love ya
Marisa
Hope i helped just a little bit.